Written by: Abdi Santosa
Sound Healing is to create a symphony of health and vibrancy within the body where each level plays its individual pure tone as well as being part of the symphony.
Sound is a relatively slow vibrational wavelength. It hits the body in such a way that we perceive it as sound and actually feel its reverberations in our body cavities and ear canals as it bounces around.
Tibetan Singing Bowls have been used for centuries for healing and meditation purposes. They create a range of sounds to restore the normal vibratory frequencies of diseased and out-of-harmony parts of the body, mind and soul
Healing processes are initiated through entraining our brainwaves to synchronise with the perfect resonance of the bowls. Unique tones create the perfect state for deep meditation, creative thinking and intuitive messages.
The quality of the bowl’s sound and its sound form can help you find a resting center within yourself, just like the center of the bowl where liquids will naturally come to rest. Above the bowl’s center is a vertical beam of energy towering up high above the bowl, compared to the tubular bells which often make you aware of your vertical axis, strengthening your spine when played behind you and giving you a sense of vertical centering when played in front of you. At the same time, bowls and tubular bells, similarly to all metal instruments, spread their sound out fast and uniformly all around because they are round instruments. The sound from of a singing bowl has therefor four characteristics: the horizontal effect at its rim, the egg shape, the vertical beam above it and an overall effect in the room.
The Tibetan bowls each have the ability to balance the whole energy system as the bowls are made of seven metals they are symphonic instruments and therefore work with a whole spectrum of notes and sounds.
The traditional metals used in the creation of Tibetan singing bowls and their planetary associations are :
- Gold symbol of planet Sun associated to our heart of our universe , intuitive wisdom, self – expression and strength
- Silver symbol of planet Moon associated to emotion, cycles of birth, life death and rebirth. Expression and creativity .
- Iron symbol of planet Mars associated to Will, action, propulsion, power, sexuality. Self – assurance, adventure and freedom.
- Mercury symbol of planet Mercury associated to Messenger of the Gods, intellect, thinking, knowledge and speech. Power over matter , immortality and durability.
- Tin symbol of Jupiter associated to universal wisdom, evolution, growth, development, life force, alertness and trust.
- Copper symbol of planet Venus associated to Love, beauty, warmth, sensuality, growth in nature.
- Lead symbol of planet Saturn associated to Conscience, self – discipline and duty. Materialism, rigidity and sorrow. The shadow self which we choose not to see. Closure in all stage.
The bowls themselves when played create an orchestra of harmonics; they are deep and comforting and connected to the earth from which they came. The size and the thickness create the pitch, but the bowls do not have one set note .
The tone of the Tibetan bowls balances each of the chakras and brings each layer of the being into harmony with one another. They balance and heal the physical body and synchronise the two hemispheres of the brain. They can assist in the shattering and removal of energy, which can accumulate or become stuck in any aspect of the body, mind, heart or soul. They therefore allow old energy patterns that no longer serve us to be removed and transformed.